One of the greatest blessings that has come our way from this mission is the privilege of being able to sing the songs of Zion with people who love to sing. They sing their hearts out! Many of them can't sing on tune, but it doesn't matter to them. They sing anyway - and they sing loudly. The chapel actually resounds with the joy of their praises. Every ward and branch in the Church could learn a lesson from the humble Saints of Roatan. We thought that today we would include a couple of our favorite hymns in hopes that it will stir your souls as they have stirred ours.
A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
Hath often crossed me on my way
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay
I had not power to ask his name
Where to he went or whence he came
But there was something in his eye
That won my love, I knew not why
| (Men carrying massive loads of wood for home fires or wares to sell is a very common sight) |
I am a Child of God
And He has sent me here
Has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me; help me find the way
Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday
| (Camilla Flores - named after Pres. Kimball's wife - runs from person to person during Church and we all love her) |
Because I have been given Much I Too Must Give
Because of Thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live
I shall divide my gifts from Thee with every brother that I see
That he too made be comforted
| (The Alvarado family lives in this one-room shack where the floor has rotted away. There are eight people) |
Earth With Her Ten Thousand Flowers
Air with all its beams and showers
Heaven's infinite expanse
Sea's resplendent countenance
All around and all above
Bear this record: God is love!
| (The Lawson Rock condominium grounds are incredibly beautiful) |
Called To Serve Him, Heavenly King of Glory
Chose e'er to witness for His name
Far and wide we tell the Father's story;
Far and wide His love proclaim
| (Elder Barba and Elder Dever are faithful missionaries always ready to spread the word) |
How Firm a Foundation
Ye Saints of the Lord is laid for His work in His excellent word
| (The chapel in Coxen Hole) |
Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?
Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up that sad?
And made somebody glad? If not, have failed indeed.
| (Olga Barrios de Fernandez was baptized on October 14, 2012) |
Love At Home
There is beauty all around when there's love at home.
Hate and envy ne'er annoy, when there's love at home.
| (Belkis Madrid rocks her tiny baby in the sweltering heat of her one-room bunker) |
Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning
Radiant beamed the sun above.
Bees were humming, sweet birds singing
Music ringing through the grove.
![]() |
| (Early morning looking over Mahogony Bay Resort. This is a private bay for Carnival Cruise lines) |
Secret Prayer
There is an hour of peace and rest unmarred by earthly care
Where there before the Lord I go to kneel in secret prayer
| (Sister Sorto, our Relief Society president, bows her head before sacrament meeting begins) |
Sweet hour of prayer, that calls me from my world of care
In defending truth and right
While the enemy assaileth shall we shrink or shun the fight?
NO!
| (The youth of Roatan) |
We hope that this little blog brought a bit of joy into your lives like it has done for us. These hymns are precious little sermons and prayers that have the power because of their melody to remain with us nearly forever. We hope they stay with you today.

Amazing post. I loved it and cried while reading it along with the pictures. What wonderful humble people. I'm so glad we get to know of them through you. It made me think of a hymn too, Count your many blessings.
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice for us to get to see these beautiful pictures.
ReplyDeleteThat was really sweet, thanks for sharing it with us. We love you!
ReplyDeleteHi there! I thought of you today when Toni came to the temple alone, again. Then remembered you had a blog...how fun to see your pictures! I've been to many of those spots (Mahogany Bay, Coxen Hole, etc.) I was surprised to see that you are able to go in the ocean! Just wanted you to know you are thought of and prayed for often. Take care. Love, Sue Tingey
ReplyDelete