| Two of our favorites: Sister Aguilar and Sister Tanner |
- Elder Limon said, "I learned that everybody matters - not just me. These people are all my brothers and sisters. When I see someone crying, I don't just pass them by, I now go to them to see if I can help."
- Elder Birt (in perfect Spanish) said, "I have learned that happiness is a decision. My environment or circumstances don't have the power to affect my happiness. I have chosen to be happy."
- Elder Bergquist said, "I have learned how to talk to people, but probably even more importantly, I have learned that people are worth talking to."
- Many talked of the importance of obedience. Elder Underwood said, "I have learned that in order to obtain the guidance of the Holy Ghost I have to be obedient to what He has already taught me."
- Elder Perez said, "I have learned patience. I'm not perfect yet, but I have learned to give people the benefit of the doubt and to let them progress at their own pace. I am more patient now."
- Sister Gomorah said, "I have learned how to pray - I mean, how to really pray."
| Sister Lopez and Elder Bautista |
What a privilege it has been for us to associate with these fine young men and women for these two years. We have watched them grow up while serving here in Honduras. Every lesson they learned while serving as missionaries will bless their future lives every single day.
With every group that leaves, another group of "youngsters" comes to replace them. On Tuesday of this week twenty-three brand new missionaries arrived in San Pedro Sula. They are excited and a little bit scared, but they are ready to serve. It is amazing to know that in just a few short months, these new ones will be as powerful as those we just sent home.
![]() |
| Our new missionaries |
Elder Underwood was thrilled when his younger brother was called to serve his mission in this same country. But, because missionaries can't leave their mission boundaries they were never able to see each other even though, at times, they were only 50 miles apart. He received special permission to see his brother for one day before flying home. We were privileged to drive him down to Tegucigalpa where his brother was serving. We met at the temple there. The incredible joy they experienced as they met and shared their common experiences and the lessons they had learned underlined what this service does for these missionaries. Their hearts grow softer; their love grows deeper; and their testimonies are stronger.



This is beautiful! So wonderful to be reminded of the many reasons missionary work is so amazing and important. It makes me want to go out and serve and share more. Thank you for all of your wonderful service and for keeping this blog to inform and remind us of all these things!
ReplyDelete:-) So beautiful! And thank you for including a picture of my daughter, newly arrived in Honduras!
ReplyDeleteThank you, thank you, thank you! It's good to see my son's (Elder Erikson) smiling face!
ReplyDeleteAlthough my daughter is serving in the San Pedro Sula East mission, I love following your blog! It makes me feel a bit closer to her. Thank you for sharing your insights & thoughts.
ReplyDeleteLooks like it would be pretty hard saying goodbye to so many wonderful brothers and sisters that often. It makes me so happy to see big smiles on their faces as they serve Heavenly Father and their brothers and sisters in the gospel. We love you guys! Will miss you this Thanksgiving, can't wait to see you soon.
ReplyDeleteThat would have been so neat to be there when those brothers were reunited! I love the picture of them hugging! You can see the strong love they have for each other.
ReplyDeleteBrother and Sister John,
ReplyDeleteWe were thrilled to find your blog today and even more thrilled to find our son, Elder Moes, in your pictures. Ian is one of the brand new, excited, and a little scared missionaries that just arrived a few weeks ago. We are quite grateful to read about the mission and about the people and culture there in Honduras. It is also wonderful to hear about the happenings in the mission from an adult perspective instead of the teenage emails! We are very grateful for your service, both to the people of Honduras, and also the many missionaries serving there with you. Our hearts and prayers are with you all and appreciate your ever watchfulness over our Elders and Sister missionaries. Thank You and we look forward to keeping up with you on this blog.