There are so many beautiful sights to see here, but they seem to all revolve around the sea. The water is so calming, the beaches so inviting and the air so clean. There is no polution here. There isn't much noise. There is no roar of ocean waves as they break over the reef and only then slowly meander to the beach. The tide is never more than a few inches. People live in homes built on stilts only two or three feet above the water. They have never been flooded.
The sun sets in a bed of fire each night. Sadly it sets quickly. The skies are completely dark each night by 6:00 p.m. year around. We love the twenty minutes of dusk here on the island. It deepens the colors and softens the harshness of the poverty that drapes the land.
We have come to love the ocean and the people who live by its waters. It's odd to us that they take it for granted. We rarely see any local people swimming. They can't afford to go to the resorts and their groomed beaches, but they don't go to the local beaches either. I believe that we all tend to take those beauties that constantly surround us for granted. We hope that you will all take just a moment today to smell a flower or gaze at the snow capped peaks, or the flowing fields of corn. They each have their own beauty.
This is Lawson Rock. Our condominium is just past these homes. You can see our beach at the very left of the picture. This photo was taken from the Lawson Rock dock. Our time here is now very limited. We won't be here forever, but we believe that the ocean and these people of the island will stay in our hearts long after we are asked to leave.
Happy 5 month anniversary! Looks beautiful. Our flowers have frozen this week, but it is warmer today. I think it got up to 50.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures. I am jealous of that "Mission" tan!
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures!! I agree with Jennifer, you two look great with your tans!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures. LaRae, I am proud of you for getting out there in the kayack.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I am so glad you commented, so now I have your blog address! My mom has told me, but I kept forgetting to write it down. You are a great writer and your pictures are absolutely beautiful. So fun to see what you guys are up to. Love you.
ReplyDelete